Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

A week (24hrs) in theatre and a scary moment

Last night I finalling started 'My Birth Journal'. Something I mean to do since first year to record by experiences, thoughts and feelings from the course and especially the births I'm present for.

I'm going to type the first entry for you to read here...

'I was quite scared of the idea of going to theatre, the people down there all seemed scary, blunt and expecting nothing less than perfection... After a few people told me their experince had been good I relaxed a bit and glad I did. It really wasn't so bad!

Yes-it was lots of caesarean births, immediate cord clamping and factory like work (one midwife actually whispered to me "Yes, it is a bit like a factory down here but it has to be done") but the staff, for the most part, were friendly and nice. I supported and spoke to parents as much as I could and used a gentle touch with the brand new babies. I did my best to provide gentle, loving care whilst following strict theatre rules and social norms.

I learnt how to 'scrub in'~ a skill I hope to not have to use often, but it will help, especially whilst training and working in this grinding system.

I had the priveledge to meet new souls arriving into the world, I spoke and whispered kind words and let my hands calm them whilst they lay on the resusitare away from mothers heart.

I had a special few moments with one baby, Joe*, a big bouncing baby with lots of hair who's mamma was from Zimbabwe. As the mum was there by herself I brought Joe to meet her for their first few moments together outside of the womb. It was beautiful. Kisses were exchanged, gentle whispers of welcome were muttered as this baby was welcomed to his family. I was so happy to be present in that moment with mamma and baby as the rest of the world and operation bustled on.

Two sets of twins were born on my second day there, that was special. Although a scary moment did happen when I followed parents and babies to the recovery room. I was asked to bottle feed one, no problem. Except after 5 minutes suddenly the dear babies hands, feet and face went bluey/ grey and she stopped breathing... The mother said "Is she ok? Has she gone blue don't you think?" The bottom of my stomach dropped, that feeling of dread. I carried her quickly across the room to the midwife, trying to reassure myself and the parents in the process. A few moments with the midwife and she came back to pink. O2 sats monitor on and off I go to feed her only for it to happen again! Sats down to 84% and ashey colour... Midwife brought her to oxygen as I sat trying to reassure parents whilst I don't know what's happening... (After a whiff of oxygen she pinked right up immediately). Paeds came, fed her no problem~ of course I was so thankful, but felt a bit stupid as well as relieved!

Overall, I feel more prepared for if a woman I'm with on the labour ward/ in labour anywhere needed to go to theatre and also I can appreciate more what going through a caesarean birth is like.'

So that's a brief summary of my theatre experience. I would love to hear yours~how did you find it? Was it as you expected? What did you take away from it?

*Name changed

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing my first and only C section when training as a student nurse. It was so speedy from when skin was cut. The baby plucked out from its warm comfy environment into a noisy cold place what a shock! It was so emotional and yes i cried with the parents for joy. I now work in the neonatal unit and will be starting midwifery training in September. I can't wait for more experience of birth and to welcome new lives into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, yes it is so clinical and quick! I must say I had tears in my eyes a few times this week with wonderful emotions :) I imagine it will be quite interesting coming from neontal nursing into midwifery, so linked yet very different :) You're going into with some great experience behind you. Best of wishes with your midwifery journey, I hope you love it! X

    ReplyDelete