Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

A long overdue update and some exciting news!

I was reminded the other day that I need to update my blog, so true! Thought I'd give you a little idea of what I'm up to and how the course is going (and I hope to keep updating more regularly over the summer...ho dee hum).

Right now I have a few things going on, mainly the fact that I *should* be studying for my exams starting next week. This year has the most exams, we have 5 but seen as 3 of them are split into two subjects it feels like studying for 8! I particularly have an issue with pharmacology as the way it is set up in Ireland is that we study with the general nurses meaning we are learning drugs used for Parkinsons and heart disease, ones you very rarely come across when treating healthy pregnant women, grr..

Second thing on my plate, I offered and was accepted to do a presentation for the Virtual International Day of the Midwife on the 5th of May. I am very excited, but it's making me rather nervous now the thought of speaking to so many people. I will be speaking about the experience of being a student midwife with particular concern on the support we do or do not receive, I'm hoping there will be lots to discuss and I won't be the only one speaking for the hour! ope you make it along to some (or all as I hope to!) of the presentations. Check out the line-up on their website, there are some fantastic looking speakers.

And perhaps the most exciting...I'm going to hear Ina May Gaskin speak tomorrow! Ina May is, let's say, one of my idols!! My mum read her 'Spiritual Midwifery' when she was pregnant with me and then gave me a copy for my 17th birthday, if you haven't read it I would really recommend you do. There are some really amazing birth stories and Ina May's information for midwives. I'm bringing my copy with me tomorrow in the hope I may be able to get it signed. She will be the keynote speaker at the Homebirth Association of Ireland conference in Dublin. It's my first time going to one of their events and I'm really looking forward to it even if it is a day out of my study (maybe I can use the excuse that it is studying...?!).

Anyone else studying for exams? Have exciting midwifery related events going on in their lives? Love to hear from you!

Right, I'd better be back to some work now...

2 comments:

  1. Well done on VIDM12! it was a great presentation, and an interesting discussion too, wish I was still in Ireland, even though I'm enjoying studying in UK I really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Caroline! And thank you, I really enjoyed the VIDM presentation, its exhilirating and I recommend other students put themselves forward for it in years to come :)

    ReplyDelete